Accountability is a core competency, meaning the obligation of an individual to account for his/her actions, accept responsibility for them. Ninety-nine percent of failures come from people who have a habit of making excuses. Such people may become very imaginative when asked to explain the sub-par results of their work. Blaming others for their mistakes or shortcomings is a common way to escape responsibility.
In order to use the performance review phrases below, think of a time when the employee was not accountable. The best way to talk about it in the review is to site an example. Here are a few key performance review phrases, both positive and negative ones.
Positive performance review phrases for accountability
- Timothy is always willing to take responsibility for his team’s actions and work results.
- Julia is very good at recognizing her mistakes and holds herself responsible for the outcome.
- John understands the responsibility of his role and ownership of his tasks and deadlines.
- Brian is willing to accept constructive feedback and works hard to own his own personal weaknesses.
- Jessica is very helpful in assisting other members of her team in doing tasks assigned to the whole group.
- Terry is such an accountable person at work. He feels responsible for everything he does and always admits his mistakes.
- It is such a remarkable characteristic of Robert to recognize and comply with his responsibilities in performing his job.
Negative performance review phrases for accountability
- Joshua always blames other team members for the things that he should be responsible for.
- Terry is quick to point fingers in heated situations.
- Julia always thinks of excuses for why her work has not been delivered on time.
- Kerry often blames internal procedures and policies for her failure.
- Terry is very reluctant to accept his failure. He has such a low accountability at work.
- Alex always gives excuses for his failure to objective circumstances instead of his own fault.
- Samantha tends to make numerous excuses when it comes to the quality of her work.
Finding a key performance review phrase to describe a person’s lack of accountability can be difficult as there are several types of accountability to consider. For instance, it may be ethical accountability when an employee does not hold the principles and the values of the company. Alternatively, it may be administrative accountability when an employee does not follow the rules within the organization or not adhere to the department standards.
Not only you have to come up with performance review phrases to tell such employees exactly where they have not taken responsibility for their work, but you also need to be very careful and make sure you are doing your part to manage this type of an employee.
Accountability is difficult to measure as it is hard to understand why some people tend not to own up to their mistakes and just do the work that you are asking them to do. As a possible way to develop this skill and combat unaccountable behavior, you can have the team members think through any “hurdles or challenges” of the task once it is assigned, and lay out a plan to anticipate and reduce any excuses they are giving. If the excuse is identified prior to the task being given, it will be harder for the person to blame the failure on that particular hurdle. Consequently, it will make the person more accountable for how results of the work.
Whatever the accountability problem is, it can also be combated by setting SMART objectives for this employee. SMART stands for Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant and Time-Based goals. Be very specific with what the employee is required to do. Make these objectives measurable in order to track their progress. The tasks should also be achievable and relevant, and people should have a strict timeframe to complete them.
You can ref free list of all review phrases at: 51 core competencies with free performance review phrases examples.
Related subs: Performance appraisal phrases, performance evaluation phrases, performance feedback phrases, performance management phrases, comment phrases.